Brookes Social Leadership Programme
Information for students
About the programme
What is the Social Leadership Programme?
The Social Leadership programme is for 2nd year Oxford Brookes students who are passionate about making positive change. In collaboration with the careers service, the programme supports you to gain new skills, get more experience in the social sector and prepare you to apply for graduate level employment in the social impact sector.
What does it involve?
The programme will kick off in April 2019 and will provide numerous opportunities for personal and professional development for individuals taking part. This is a unique & comprehensive opportunity to gain leadership skills and have a positive social impact to set you up for graduation. You will be joining a cohort of 20 other Brookes students who are motivated to make positive change.
- Volunteering opportunities and placements (in a range of organisations, tackling issues ranging from educational inequality through to loneliness and isolation or sustainability of food.)
- Leadership roles in Oxford Hub’s social action programmes.
- Training sessions to support you to gain new skills, reflect on your experiences and apply for future roles.
- Being matched with a mentor who is an early career professional working across a range in a social impact organisation.
- Organise events for other students, to engage others in social issues in Oxford.
Average time commitment will be 10 hours a month (including weekly volunteering), with a longer out of term time placement.
Following on from these development opportunities we will provide tailored support for you, with the careers service, to apply for graduate employment.
Am I eligible?
We are not looking for individuals with loads of specific experience. What we are looking for is motivation and potential for tackling the challenges our society faces.
To join the cohort you must:
1. Be a second year student, studying at Brookes from any discipline.
2. Have experience of volunteering or social action. Social action comes in many forms and we want to hear from a diverse range of students so get in touch if you aren’t sure!
We strongly encourage applications from BAME backgrounds and first generation at University
How to apply
* Click here and complete the short application questions, telling us a bit about yourself and why you want to apply.
* You will be invited to attend a short interview
* If you are successful at interview stage you will be invited to join the cohort and receive a welcome pack to prepare you ahead of the programme kicking off.
✔ This opportunity is only open to students at Oxford Brookes.
✔ You can volunteer on this project if you have a disability. If you would like to, you can fill out the Accessibility Requirements form on the volunteer application and let us know what we can do to support you.
✔ This opportunity is not currently wheelchair accessible.
✔ You can take part in this opportunity with a carer or support. If you require support when volunteering, get in touch and we can match you with a volunteer supporter.
Oxford Hub is committed to making our activities inclusive to all volunteers. We will make reasonable adjustments to application processes, training sessions, volunteering projects and other activities, and we pay back volunteer expenses such as bus tickets. We also provide ongoing support for the volunteers we work with, so if you have particular accessibility needs, including special educational needs, you can fill out the Accessibility Requirements form on the volunteering application and let us know how we can help. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.